- 1 slab
- 5 lb Pork belly (skin on) or pork jowl
- 30 g Sea salt
- 20 g Maple sugar
- Put belly in a freezer bag with salt and sugar. Seal the bag and shake until belly is evenly coated.
- Refrigerate for 3–7 days or until the firmness is uniform. Rotate daily once a brine has accumulated.
- Once curing is complete remove from brine, rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- Place on a drying rack and refrigerate uncovered for 24 hours.
- Smoke (skin side down) over apple wood at 180ºF until the internal temperate is 150ºF.