- 1h 5m
- 4 servings
traditional Portuguese soup
- 1 lb chorizo or linguica sausage, sliced
- 1 onion, blended
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb kale or collard greens, shredded, stems removed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- Warm a stock pot or dutch oven on med/low heat, then add the sliced sausage. Brown on both sides, in batches if needed, adding a little olive oil if the sausage sticks to the pot. Once it is browned, set it aside.
- Add the blended onion to the pot, and sauté until aromatic, about five minutes. Be sure to gently scrape up the bottom so the browned bits of sausage mix with the onions.
- Once the onions are aromatic, add the potatoes, broth, and water. Raise the heat to medium and boil the potatoes until they are soft, about 20 minutes. Once the potatoes are soft, blend them with an immersion blender, or mash with a potato masher.
- While the potatoes boil, cut up your kale and set it aside.
- To finish the soup, add the shredded kale and simmer for one minute, then taste it, adding salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp each). Pour the soup into bowls and serve with the sausage. Some people like to drizzle olive oil into the soup, and I think that’s just fine.